Welcome to the First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) website! Whether you currently worship with us or this is your first introduction to our church community, we hope that you will find that these pages inform, inspire, nurture, invite, and challenge you on your spiritual journey.
At First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), three words—community, spirituality, and justice—define and shape our life together in the body of Christ. This means that First Christian Church is a place where
- relationships are nurtured and cherished.
- people take priority over processes and possessions.
- scriptures guide and sustain and give hope and challenge.
- questions are welcomed and ideas are taken seriously.
- serving others is a way of life.
- a wide spectrum of theological convictions strengthens our commitment to live in unity.
- diversity in the body of Christ is honored and unity is celebrated.
- a commitment to Christian unity sustains in times of tension and disagreement.
- everyone is not cut from the same pattern, but all are created in God’s image.
On Sundays, we worship in the sanctuary at 8:30 a.m. and at 11:00 a.m. Both services are similar, focusing on two primary elements:
- The Word of God, spoken and heard through scripture, sermon, and song.
- The Table of Christ, where all are invited and welcomed to share in a simple and symbolic meal of bread and wine as we remember and celebrate Christ’s presence among us.
While children are always welcome to worship in the sanctuary, children age 4 through third grade spend the first part of the worship service in the sanctuary. Following the children’s moment, they are invited to another room to participate in a worship time designed for their particular needs.
Fellowship and refreshments are available in the Chapel/Gathering Space before and after each service of worship. Childcare is provided for infants and toddler care during both services.
For nearly as long as Bloomington, Indiana has existed, First Christian Church has been an integral and vibrant part of this wonderful community. Our location and facility in the heart of Bloomington is a gift that was built to bless and serve. Today, more than 180 years after its founding, First Christian Church continues to reach out into Bloomington and beyond, offering to all God’s blessing of healing, hope, and hospitality. With the wider Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), we boldly proclaim:
We are Disciples of Christ, a movement for wholeness in a fragmented world. As part of the one body of Christ, we welcome all to the Lord’s Table, as God has welcomed us.
As the Disciples’ movement for wholeness in a fragmented world grows, First Christian Church continues to lead, offering a faithful presence on the corner of Kirkwood and Washington and transforming lives through sharing its gifts of healing, hope, and hospitality.