A Note from the Pastor…
Welcome! If you are like I am, you are someone who likes to know what you are getting into before you’ve gotten into it! Whether you are trying to decide which restaurant to patronize, or which school to apply for admission, or which movie to see, or which church to attend, you do your homework. You research, ponder, process, compare, dig, pray, ask, and only then do you make the decision and take the “plunge.” As you explore this website, please take as much time as you need to do your homework. Some of the following links are a great start:
- Find out what to expect during your first visit.
- Read our Invitation to Community and our Vision and Mission Statements.
- Peruse our newsletter.
- Discover learning options for you and your children.
- Listen to a recent choir anthem or a sermon.
- Ponder what we believe and how we practice our faith.
- Acquaint yourself with our denominational identity and history.
- Become familiar with the way we serve.
- Call or email us if you have questions.
I ask just one thing: as you explore this website, please begin to imagine yourself visiting First Christian Church on a Sunday morning. I know that a first time visit can be quite intimidating; however, it may be the best decision you ever make! Although I can’t tell you exactly what your experience will be, I can promise you this:
- You will be warmly greeted, but you won’t feel like you are being “put on the spot.”
- You won’t hear preaching that is harsh or judgmental. The overarching message you will hear is, “God loves you as you are, and there is nothing you can do about it, period, full stop.”
- You won’t be asked to check your mind at the door. God gave it to you. Use it to ask questions and ponder possibilities.
- Something you experience will touch your heart—if you let it. It might be a word, a prayer, a scripture passage, music, or a sense of peace that comes from simply sitting in the sacred space of the sanctuary.
- You will be invited to share in the Lord’s Supper (Holy Communion), where all are welcome. And all means all.
Whether you grew up going to church every Sunday, or you are coming back to church after years of being away, or you have never attended church, know that others at First Christian Church have been on similar paths. We don’t all approach life and faith in the same way, but at First Christian Church we do our best to welcome one another in the same way that God has graciously welcomed each of us. And we look forward to welcoming you!
I encourage you to visit at least four times before making a decision about whether or not to “plunge” deeper into the life and ministries of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). You’ll be glad!
Rev. Helen Hempfling, Pastor